One of my favorite songs for keeping me grounded in faith is Lynda Randle’s God on the Mountain. A few of the lines tell this story: Life is easy when you are up on the mountain. You have peace of mind like you have never known. But things change when you are down on the valley, don’t lose faith for you are never alone. For the God on the mountain is still God in the valley; when things go wrong, He will make them right. And the God of the good times is still God in the bad times. The God of the day is still God in the night.
God on the mountain is a doubt chaser. Here is a Youtube link in case you are interested in listening to this awesome song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCTl4tUYIAg
Doubt is like amnesia, it makes us have a short memory. We forget all the victories that God has won on our behalf. We forget His faithfulness, provision, kindness, love and mercy. In times like these, we need a reminder of God’s consistency, of His unchanging love and of His enduring mercy.
We need to remember that He gives us beauty for ashes, strength for fear, and gladness for mourning and peace for despair. We need to remember that weeping may last for a night but joy comes in the morning.
Here are 8 scriptures that I have gathered over the years for when you need to combat doubt:
- For assuredly, I say this to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be removed and be cast into the sea, ‘ and does not doubt in his heart , but believes that those things he says will come to pass, he will have whatever he says. ~Mark 11:23
We have so much power through Christ to do even the seemingly impossible; we just have to believe it and wield it.
- So Jesus answered and said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will not only do what was done to the fig tree, but also if you say to this mountain, “Be removed and be cast into the sea, ‘ it will be done. ~Matthew 21:21
The context of this verse is, while on one of His missionary journeys on earth, after driving the money changers and other traders from the temple as He traveled with His disciples, Jesus got hungry and when He did not find fruit on a fig tree, he cursed the tree and it withered. In scripture, the saints are promised that those they curse will be cursed, and those they bless will be blessed. ~Numbers 24:9 Hey, I am not advocating that we should start cursing people left, right and center. It just goes to emphasize what power we have in Christ Jesus.
- But let him ask in faith , with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind; For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double minded man, unstable in all his ways. ~James 1:6-8.
This is my go to scripture when I am faced with doubt. It gives me the much needed push to keep going. When we ask, we should believe without a shadow of doubt. That is the only way we expect to get anything from the Lord.
- Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. ~Philippians 4:6-7
Many are the times I have needlessly worried instead of taking it to God. This verse reminds me that I may not be in control but He is.
- Cast ALL your cares upon Him for He cares for you. ~1 Peter 5:7
Similarly, this verse reminds us not to worry or doubt but to cast ALL our cares upon Him because He cares for us.
- Come to me all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. ~Matthew 11:28
Christ promises rest for the weary, whatever it is that has tired us He promises to give us rest.
- For with God nothing is impossible.~ Luke 1:37
What a reassurance! When we feel out of control, we should remember that with God nothing is impossible. He is the God of the impossible.
- God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them. ~Hebrews 6:10
A beautiful illustration of God’s care and love.
The bible is a treasure trove; we will find answers to all life issues if we search it diligently.
I am so delighted for the privilege to link up this post with Grace & Truth http://aimeeimbeau.com/2016/07/29/grace-truth-fierce-begins-brokenness/ courtesy of the gracious Aimee Imbeau.
What are some of the scriptures you use to combat doubt?